|Editorial  board | About the Journal   | Instructions for Authors | Peer Review Policy | Clinical and Experimental Work Code |   Contact  |

Acta Medica Medianae
Vol. 49, No 2, June, 2010

UDK 61
ISSN 0365-4478(Printed version)
ISSN 1821-2794(Online)


Correspondence to:

Đorđević Ivona
Ul. Knjaza Miloša 63, 18220 Aleksinac
E-mail: ivonadj74@gmail.com






Original article

influence of risk Factors on frequency and prognosis of neonatal pneumothorax


Ivona Đorđević1, Anđelka Slavković1, Maja Slavković-Jovanović2 i Zoran Marjanović1


Pediatric Surgery Clinic, Clinical Center Niš1
Children's Internal Clinic, Clinical Center Niš2


Penetration of air from the lungs into the space between the parietal and visceral pleura occurs in the neonatal population, and is potentially a very serious problem with the frequency 1-2%. It occurs idiopatically, though may be secondary, mostly in the field of the lung pathology or previous trauma of the lung parenchyma. The aim of the study was to assess the morbidity and mortality among hospitalized neonates with the clinical presentation of pneumothorax. Retrospective analysis involved 16 neonates hospitalized during a 5-year period in the Pediatric Surgery Clinic in Niš. We analyzed the gestational age, body mass, existence of previous lung pathology, Apgar score and treatment. Neonatal pneumothorax was more common in boys (m:f=2,2:1), in patients with Apgar score below 3, prematured babies and patients with previous lung disease. Treatment was surgical in all patients, and involved thoracotomy (in 75% of patients), while in the remaining 25% thoracocentesis was performed. Mortality reached 30% and was recorded in the population of patients at risk with low Apgar score, in premature babies, and in patients with previous lung disorders. Any child with signs of ARDS must be carefully examined by neonatologist and pediatric surgeon. If pneumothorax is timely diagnosed, even in a group of children with increased risk, treatment is effective. Acta Medica Medianae 2010;49(2):5-8.

Key words: gastrscopy, gastric cancer, pathohistological result